Casey Bralla via plug on 9 Jul 2023 04:21:10 -0700

[PLUG] Update: [Solved!] Can't See Wireless Router in Gentoo Linux

It turns out that I had not enabled TKIP protocol in my system.  The router was using AES/TKIP.  When I changed the router to use only AES, it became clearly visible to my Gentoo system.  Then, I discovered that there is a TKIP "use" variable in Gentoo that had not been set.  When I recompiled wpa_supplicant with the TKIP enabled, everything worked fine.

On 2023-04-02 01:39 PM, Casey Bralla via plug wrote:

Gotta strange one here...

My laptop can't see my girlfriend's Comcast wireless router when I run Gentoo Linux, but it is easily seen when running Windows 10 on the same equipment.

I bought a refurbished Dell laptop on New Egg a few months ago.  It was a good deal, well refurbished with a clean install of Windows 10.  Naturally, I replaced the SSD and installed Gentoo on a replacement SSD (leaving the original Windows SSD in working condition).

I was very surprised to discover the laptop, with the Gentoo system disk installed could not see the Comcast wireless router at my girlfriend's house, even though it sees and connects to other wireless hotspots without difficulty.

My android phone, my android tablet, her 4K TV, and her Windows 11 laptop all saw and connected to the Comcast router without any difficulties.  But my Gentoo laptop wouldn't even recognize the router was on.  My girlfriend's comcast router would not show up on the list of scanned SSIDs, but the list DID include all of her neighbor's routers.  I even tried explicitly setting the known values for SSID and WPA, and still no good.

Thinking there was something wonky with the laptop, I reinserted the original Windows SSD and booted to Windows 10.  Now the laptop saw the Comcast router also.

So SOMETHING about my Gentoo installation is preventing the router from being recognized.

I plan to try a few live distros on the laptop to see if they work, but have not done so yet.

Here's some relevant data:

Anybody got any ideas why this would be?

My theories of what might be wrong:

  1. Bad/wrong firmware loaded
  2. Wrong intel 80211 module in the kernel
  3. Sub-space energy dampening field
  4. Linux kernel 6.x doesn't recognize 802.11N

Thoughts, analysis, and suggestions greatly appreciated!  TIA!

LEGAL NOTICE:  This eMail contains private, personal, and/or privileged
information and is only for the intended recipient(s).  In fact, you
really should consider yourself honored to even be cc'd on this
tremendously important communication.  The author spent literally
seconds composing this magnificent opus of rational thought and
deductive logic.  We only regret that it has probably been based on
inaccurate data, which really stinks because this eMail would have been
really something!  If you have received this eMail in error, we
respectfully DEMAND that you immediately delete it and inform the sender
that you have received it in error.  Then, just to be certain, you should
reformat your hard drive, shave your head, renounce all material
possessions (which are really your master anyway), and join a
non-speaking cult somewhere in the Los Angeles, California area.  Once
there, you must reconsider all the terrible choices you've made in your
life, and promise never to confuse "sex" with "gender" again.  (Of
course, this assumes you have already come to terms with your inherent
whiteness and learned the lyrics to The Internationale
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internationale).  We sincerely hope
you are able to get your medication stabilized and no longer have that
recurring dream where you're alone in a large crowd, standing naked in
a vat of chocolate Yoo-hoo.  BTW, Yoo-hoo really is an underrated
beverage.  It’s chocolatey, yet suprisingly refreshing.  Pick up a
6-pack today, and tell your friends!