brent saner via plug on 11 Sep 2023 12:50:28 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Tailscale talk? (was Outgoing VPN for Entire Network)

On Mon, Sep 11, 2023, 15:13 Walt Mankowski via plug <plug@lists.phillylinux.org> wrote:
Changing the subject just a bit here. I've heard a lot of buzz about
Tailscale but I don't really understand what it is. Is it sufficiently
open source to be a topic for an upcoming PLUG meeting?

Quick point of contention, despite a large (ab)use of the misnomer (including, egregiously, by the projects themselves), Wireguard - the protocol Tailscale is built on, and thus Tailscale itself - is not actually a VPN, it's a point-to-point tunnel. It's closer to e.g. a link than a LAN. There are multiple projects that attempt to make wg behave more *like* a VPN (like Tailscale) but they ultimately are workarounds and abstractions rather than an actual VPN implementation.