Steve Litt via plug on 25 Sep 2023 18:42:31 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Places to learn Linux and C around Philadelphia?

Frank via plug said on Mon, 25 Sep 2023 21:04:06 -0400 (EDT)

>Hello!  I'm new to the area, and I'm looking for places & resources
>that'll help me learn Linux and C (ideally together).  I've looked at
>all of the local community colleges, and all of the 4 year colleges in
>the area, and none of them have strong CS/CE programs that offer
>in-depth courses on C.   Ideally, I'd like to learn in person, or at
>least with a local group, if possible.  I have some of a programming
>background, and I am in the process of learning how to work in Linux.
>Right now, I'm limping along with some books from the library, but I
>could really use some face-to-face help with the more complicated
>concepts.
>
>Thanks, Frank

Hi Frank,

I live in Orlando Florida so I can't help you with places, but here are
some things I've found handy.

Get a spare computer, install Linux, screw it up, wipe it out, and do
it again. That's how I learned Linux in about a week, I reinstalled
about 50 times. You might speed up the process by installing into a
Qemu virtual machine, but getting peripherals to work in VM guests is
tough.

You said you wanted to *learn* Linux, which I think means under the
hood. If so, you're best off with something very close to the metal,
like Void Linux. I'd suggest against systemd, at least at first. If you
find you must learn systemd for some reason, I'd do it after learning
Linux itself.

For C, I'd suggest fooling around with it on your computer, looking at
websites, and when you get a little proficient, look at other peoples'
C code and try to figure out why they did it the way they did it.
Twenty thre years ago I found the C source code for Samba to be very
interesting, but I wouldn't look at Samba code until you've got some C
experience under your belt. Don't start with Kernaghan and Ritchie.
Their book makes a great language definition, but it really sucks as a
learning tool.

I've always had great success with "For Dummies" books. There's a "C
for Dummies" that seems to have good reviews. I wouldn't worry too much
if it's an older book, C hasn't changed that much after they allowed
function prototypes. I find GNU C to be an excellent compiler.

I applaud your preferring C to C++. In my opinion C++ is a nasty
contraption with OOP coathangered on as an afterthought. I think almost
any object aware language is better than C++. I did some C++
programming in the 1990's. I'm not proud of that code.

Always remember that in C you can have a function pointer in the
definition of a typedef, so that functions travel with their data.
Function pointers are extremely powerful in all languages, and C is no
exception.

I applaud your learning C; it's a lost art. I code Python on a weekly
basis, but I still highly respect C and still use it when I feel the
need for speed or the ability to do low level stuff.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://www.troubleshooters.com/rl21