Casey Bralla via plug on 26 Sep 2023 04:04:47 -0700

Re: [PLUG] Places to learn Linux and C around Philadelphia?

Hello!  I'm new to the area, and I'm looking for places & resources
that'll help me learn Linux and C (ideally together).

Get a spare computer, install Linux, screw it up, wipe it out, and do it again. That's how I learned Linux in about a week, I reinstalled about 50 times.

You said you wanted to *learn* Linux, which I think means under the hood. If so, you're best off with something very close to the metal, like Void Linux. I'd suggest against systemd, at least at first. If you find you must learn systemd for some reason, I'd do it after learning Linux itself.

I agree that you should get a old clunker and load/mess-up/re-load/mess-up/and re-load several times.  I also intensely dislike systemd systems, but you'll probably need to become familiar with it sometime.  Try loading something from the distrowatch hot list  (https://distrowatch.com/)

Also, don't be afraid to ask "stupid" questions here.  You'll get some good answers (and we'll all get to smugly feel superior <grin>)

Good luck!!

--

LEGAL NOTICE:  This eMail contains private, personal, and/or privileged
information and is only for the intended recipient(s).  In fact, you
really should consider yourself honored to even be cc'd on this
tremendously important communication.  The author spent literally
seconds composing this magnificent opus of rational thought and
deductive logic.  Unfortunately, it has probably been based on
inaccurate data, which really stinks because this eMail would have been
truly awesome!  If you have received this eMail in error, we
respectfully DEMAND that you immediately delete it and inform the sender
that you have received it in error.  Then, just to be safe, you should
reformat your hard drive, shave your head, renounce all material
possessions (which are really controlling your life anyway), and join an
end-of-times cult somewhere.  Once there, you must reconsider all the
terrible choices you've made in your life, and promise never to confuse
"sex" with "gender" again.  Of course, this assumes you have already
come to terms with your inherent whiteness, AND that you have learned
the lyrics to The Internationale. "Arise, wretched of the earth!  Arise,
convicts of hunger..."
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Internationale)  We sincerely hope
you are able to get your medication stabilized and no longer have
that recurring dream where you're alone in a large crowd, standing
naked in a vat of chocolate Yoo-hoo.  BTW, Yoo-hoo really is an
underrated beverage.  It’s chocolatey, yet suprisingly refreshing. Pick
up a 6-pack today, and tell your friends!