Fwd: work on a non-Pi-related Linux "server" ...: Re: Pi.BerkeleyLUG: Next meeting this Sunday 19.07.2020

> Cannot at all attend today's Pi.BerkeleyLUG meeting on Jit.si , because am
> attending a virtual memorial service from 11am-1pm for the sudden death of
> a local college-age student - a would-be Sophomore at UC Davis :-( - whose
> family I've known well for over a dozen years (no to the obvious question;
> not sure if his death was COVID19-related or not!)

Turns out that during the email correspondence I attempted to provide the grieving family after the service,
I ran into what might have an aftereffect of the Cloudfare DNS issue from the beginning of the weekend;
see 'Cloudflare DNS goes down, taking a large piece of the internet with it' https://techcrunch.com/2020/07/17/cloudflare-dns-goes-down-taking-a-large-piece-of-the-internet-with-it/

Was finally able to successfully send the condolence message after narrowing-down the issue and then using an alternative email-provider's SMTP server.

Thank you, Michael P, for the below suggestion(s) :-)
Will have to try setting the desired services up according to these pointers.

Hope that the BerkeleyLUG Pi meetup went well earlier :-)
-Aaron

It may be (much) easier - and often as effective, to, have the
services, go, rather than by NIC, by IP addresses.  As long as you don't
have the same IP address(es) on both/multiple NICs, that generally
works quite well enough.
For ssh ...
$ dpkg -l openssh-server | awk '{if($1=="ii")print $2,$3;}'
openssh-server 1:7.9p1-10+deb10u2
$
sshd_config(5)
      ListenAddress
              Specifies the local addresses sshd(8) should listen on.  The fol-
              lowing forms may be used:
                    ListenAddress hostname|address [rdomain domain]
                    ListenAddress hostname:port [rdomain domain]
                    ListenAddress IPv4_address:port [rdomain domain]
                    ListenAddress [hostname|address]:port [rdomain domain]
              The optional rdomain qualifier requests sshd(8) listen in an ex-
              plicit routing domain.  If port is not specified, sshd will lis-
              ten on the address and all Port options specified.  The default
              is to listen on all local addresses on the current default rout-
              ing domain.  Multiple ListenAddress options are permitted.  For
              more information on routing domains, see rdomain(4).
Apache ...
$ dpkg -l apache2\* | awk '{if($1=="ii")print $2,$3;}'
apache2 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-bin 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-data 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-doc 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
apache2-utils 2.4.38-3+deb10u3
$
file:/usr/share/doc/apache2-doc/manual/en/mod/mpm_common.html#listen
Listen Directive

       Syntax:     Listen [IP-address:]portnumber [protocol]
       Context:    server config
       Module:     event, worker, prefork, mpm_winnt, mpm_netware, mpmt_os2
    Compatibility: The protocol argument was added in 2.1.5

    The Listen directive instructs Apache httpd to listen to only specific
    IP addresses or ports; by default it responds to requests on all IP
    interfaces. Listen is now a required directive. If it is not in the
    config file, the server will fail to start. This is a change from
    previous versions of Apache httpd.

    The Listen directive tells the server to accept incoming requests on
    the specified port or address-and-port combination. If only a port
    number is specified, the server listens to the given port on all
    interfaces. If an IP address is given as well as a port, the server
    will listen on the given port and interface.

    Multiple Listen directives may be used to specify a number of addresses
    and ports to listen to. The server will respond to requests from any of
    the listed addresses and ports.

    For example, to make the server accept connections on both port 80 and
    port 8000, use:
Listen 80
Listen 8000

    To make the server accept connections on two specified interfaces and
    port numbers, use
Listen 192.170.2.1:80
Listen 192.170.2.5:8000

    IPv6 addresses must be surrounded in square brackets, as in the
    following example:
Listen [2001:db8::a00:20ff:fea7:ccea]:80

    The optional protocol argument is not required for most configurations.
    If not specified, https is the default for port 443 and http the
    default for all other ports. The protocol is used to determine which
    module should handle a request, and to apply protocol specific
    optimizations with the AcceptFilter directive.

    You only need to set the protocol if you are running on non-standard
    ports. For example, running an https site on port 8443:
Listen 192.170.2.1:8443 https

--
---
When you must stand up for something important in the face of those who would readily cut you down, then you must continually remind yourself of the words of the great Mahatma Gandhi,

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
---

--
---