Re: Light (hdd too) Distro for VirtualBox

But seriously, have you tried taking action during OS
installation and not just accepting the default kitchen sink?

No, I haven't. Is there such an option in the Ubuntu LiveCD's? I've not seen that option...
but will look again.

I tried to learn more Linux w/ Ubuntu Server 20.04, but I'll ask about that later. I ended
up installing a GUI, initially the "core" and things wouldn't work right (couldn't log out)
and on reinstall (to a bigger hdd) I just apt installed "kubuntu-desktop" (if mem serves).
It's everything. Huge. But then I could logout/shutdown w/o issue.

I considered Manjaro per a blog post stating that Manjaro comes w/ less pre-installed
and then you add what your want vs. Ubuntu's here's everything and one has to remove
what they don't want, but my first attempt, years ago, wouldn't boot after install.
Furthermore, I'd like something more stable... non-rolling, maybe?

It might be a non-issue, but VirtualBox VM's can grow, but never shrink.

Or you could try:

Peppermint OS
elementary OS
Bodhi Linux
LXLE
Pearl Linux OS

Tis why I asked! Appreciate this list. I found a couple "best lightweight Linux in 2020" type blog posts, but wanted another perspective.

TYVM.

peace & 42

- jason

On Wednesday, September 30, 2020, 04:05:27 PM PDT, Rick Moen <rick@linuxmafia.com> wrote:

Quoting Jason Marks (jymarks@sbcglobal.net):

> My current concern is to find a smaller Ubuntu based distro to install
> vscode on and be small enough ( my Mint was 52GB ) that I can *backup*
> more easily / readily.

Maybe you should consider the approach of paring down by removing what
you don't need.  But I have to say that the entire *buntu family is not
really where you go seeking 'svelte' (or for that matter, avoiding
complexity tangles).

Or you could do a custom reinstall, and simply omit a lot of stuff.

Or you could try:

Peppermint OS
elementary OS
Bodhi Linux
LXLE
Pearl Linux OS

Those are all relatively lightweight *buntu variants, most based on
Lubuntu.  But seriously, have you tried taking action during OS
installation and not just accepting the default kitchen sink?