Re: Light (hdd too) Distro for VirtualBox

Quoting Jason Marks (jymarks@sbcglobal.net):

> No, I haven't. Is there such an option in the Ubuntu LiveCD's? I've not seen that option...but will look again.

I will confess, I haven't actually ran an Ubuntu installer in a dog's
age.  Used to be, there were both 'desktop' and 'alternate' images, and
I always favoured the latter because they (1) ran in a -lot- less RAM,
(2) were accordingly one whole heck of a lot faster, and (3) permitted
fine control of installation details including adjusting what is to be
installed.  The alternate image used Debian's d-i installer, as opposed
to the one Canonical wrote from scratch for the 'desktop' images.

The 'alternate' ISOs got dropped some revisions back.  I think if I had
it to do today, I'd use either the 'network installer' ISO or the Ubuntu
Server one (the latter because, even if it's not flexible, it at least
is less kitchen-sinkish).

Aside from that, there is also the remedy of 'remove what you don't
need'.

> I tried to learn more Linux w/ Ubuntu Server 20.04, but I'll ask about
> that later. I endedup installing a GUI, initially the "core" and
> things wouldn't work right (couldn't log out)and on reinstall (to a
> bigger hdd) I just apt installed "kubuntu-desktop" (if mem
> serves).It's everything. Huge. But then I could logout/shutdown w/o
> issue.

Ubuntu Server IIRC defaults to a pared-down GNOME, so having a 'GUI'
should actually have been the path of least resistance.  I think.

Good job on finding *buntu's kubuntu-desktop metapackage, though.  There
are similar metapackages for quite a number of DEs (Desktop
Environments).  Of course, you really, really do not need a DE just to
have a 'GUI'  it suffices to install a window manger, without the whole
marching band that comes with a DE.

> > Or you could try:
> > Peppermint OS
> > elementary OS
> > Bodhi Linux
> > LXLE
> > Pearl Linux OS
>
> Tis why I asked! Appreciate this list. I found a couple "best lightweight Linux in 2020" type blog posts, but wanted another perspective.

You're very welcome.  I found that list of possibles by playing with the
search feature on Distrowatch, and winnowing the return values based on
guesstimating what you might be looking for.