yegg on 18 Nov 2008 09:14:12 -0800

Re: FringePhilly

  • From: yegg <gabriel.weinberg@gmail.com>
  • To: Philly Lambda <philly-lambda@googlegroups.com>
  • Subject: Re: FringePhilly
  • Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2008 09:14:01 -0800 (PST)
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=googlegroups.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:x-sender:x-apparently-to :mime-version:received:date:in-reply-to:x-ip:references:user-agent :x-http-useragent:message-id:subject:from:to:content-type :content-transfer-encoding:reply-to:sender:precedence:x-google-loop :mailing-list:list-id:list-post:list-help:list-unsubscribe :x-beenthere-env:x-beenthere; bh=m4wiaBWmp9azU5VKJ8fF5jA33d9m06qWmZaWJpoauQE=; b=gbKbJmgpUa/apSTi75zjBwZI6PlesogK1dEJB8eL/jCOyQlGRdES5DYeTtdZ3xy+fy GUIPtyXU+gVxi6sqycCYFM3Mh196aAMGRXIv6X8gQeptMyuh6RIbfe84hSHbHm0w5gcc 0DFVhCovY3ndxhje2brQMhN1k+42CrbOLihBc=
  • Mailing-list: list philly-lambda@googlegroups.com; contact philly-lambda+owner@googlegroups.com
  • Sender: philly-lambda@googlegroups.com

I am another example of someone who hasn't done much functional
programming, is interested in it, but is also just as interested in
other topics that probably have common ground, e.g. databases,
scalability, performance, cloud computing, etc.

That being said, I wasn't familiar with the Fringe moniker until it
was posted here with the link http://www.lisperati.com/fringedc.html.
The text behind that link seems to be a lot about functional
programming.  As such, I would suggest picking a completely original
name, especially if the group wants to meander in its own direction
like Toby described.  Why tie ourselves down to a particular metaphor?

How about:

Philly Hackers