Kyle R. Burton on 4 Jun 2010 05:40:54 -0700

Re: Philly Lambda Charter / Splintering, was Re: Scala in Philly?

> there just aren't enough programmers in the area that want to come out
> and talk about programming
>
> the more specific a group, the less people you'll get for sure
>
> so that means any language specific group would have much less of an
> attendance record than philly lambda or plug.

I'm not so sure about that - the JUG regularly sees 100+ attendees.
It's a well run group, but isn't nearly as dynamic as Philly Lambda.

> but, if you're just itching to start a group that's fine, but
> specificity with technology groups can't be a good idea and should not
> be encouraged.

I think that's the more important aspect - the passion of the members.
 Philly Lambda came into being b/c of the early members and the
dedication of Aaron in continuing to keep the group running.  I think
it really depends on the pasion and dedication of the people in the
group -- you have to make it what you want it.  Early on in any group
that is more true for all of its members than as it ages.   I am very
interested in seeing where PHASE goes - there was obviously something
about how Philly Lambda is perceived that kept something from
happening, I want to help find out what that is :)

Anything that increases the amount of tech activity in this region is
a good thing IMO.

Kyle