Kyle R. Burton on 7 Jun 2010 11:35:32 -0700

Re: Meeting Format Feedback

> What do you guys think of the current format of the meetings?  We block 2:30
> - 3 hours for the meeting, but we rarely use up all the available time.
>  Here's some ideas I have to fill up rest of the time:
> * 2 presentations for each meeting
> * Hands on workshop (ex, how to get clojure going with emacs...etc..) after
> the presentation
> * Lightning talks (each person gets like 5 - 10 minutes)
> * Meet more often, maybe twice a month
> Of course, we don't have to pick a particular option, we can mix it up.
>  Just wondering what you guys think about it.

I'm surprised no one has piped up yet...what do you (each
individually) want from the group?

I'd love to see some of the format mixed up.  I think 2 presentations
in one evening might be a bit of a stretch - it's nice to head out and
socialize after a talk.  There are two ways I can think of doing this
- two or three in conjunction with a regular presentation, or 5 to 6
of them as the whole meeting.  Could pick a theme, something like your
favorite X: data structure, clojure library, scala library, testing
framework, etc.

I'd love to see what we'd come up with as a set of lightning talks - I
know there is a wide variety of experience within the group I'm sure
there are lots of interesting tools, libraries, etc that people could
share in ten minutes or so.

That the group now has a webpage is great.  Do we only have 2 meetings
planned?  What does the calendar look like for the next 12 months out?
 I know Aaron has worked hard at getting speakers from outside the
group in the past - is that why only 2 months out is listed at this
point?

As for the call for presentations from the existing members - what
would everyone like to hear about?

Kyle