Lalish-Menagh, Trevor on 18 Apr 2012 17:52:57 -0700

Re: We have has NoSQL Summer and Functional Fall, it is time to start preparing for AI Winter!

I am glad there is interest in the group.

Let's start with throwing out some paper ideas. I'll start:

Claude Shannon (1950). "Programming a computer to play chess"
(http://archive.computerhistory.org/projects/chess/related_materials/text/2-0%20and%202-1.Programming_a_computer_for_playing_chess.shannon/2-0%20and%202-1.Programming_a_computer_for_playing_chess.shannon.062303002.pdf)

A.M. Turing (1950). Turing: Computing Machinery and Intelligence. By
Alan M. Turing (1950). Mind 59 (Oct 1950): 433-60. ["Originally
published by Oxford University Press on behalf of MIND (the Journal of
the Mind Association), vol. LIX, no. 236, pp. 433-60, 1950. Published
on the abelard site by permission of Oxford University Press."] An
all-time classic paper that discusses the prospects of AI and
dismisses some still-current arguments against AI. Introduction of the
Turing Test as a way of operationalizing a test of intelligent
behavior. (PDF file of the orignal journal article downloadable from
Oxford University Press).
(http://mind.oxfordjournals.org/content/LIX/236/433.full.pdf+html)

McCarthy, et al. (1955). A Proposal for the Dartmouth Summer Research
Project on Artificial Intelligence. J. McCarthy, M. L. Minsky, N.
Rochester, and C.E. Shannon. August 31, 1955. "We propose that a 2
month, 10 man study of artificial intelligence be carried out during
the summer of 1956 at Dartmouth College in Hanover, New Hampshire. The
study is to proceed on the basis of the conjecture that every aspect
of learning or any other feature of intelligence can in principle be
so precisely described that a machine can be made to simulate it." And
this marks the debut of the term "artificial intelligence."
(http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/history/dartmouth.pdf)

John McCarthy (1960). Recursive Functions of Symbolic Expressions and
Their Computation by Machine, Part I. "This was the original paper on
LISP. It is copied with minor notational changes from CACM, April
1960. If you want the exact typography, look there. A few
typographical changes have been made, but the notation has not been
modernized. There are also some new explanatory footnotes. Part II,
which never appeared, was to have had some Lisp programs for algebraic
computation." - from his list of Papers on Programming Languages (I
know we did this on, but it bears repeating:
http://www-formal.stanford.edu/jmc/recursive.pdf)

Philip E. Agre and David Chapman (1987). Pengi: An Implementation of a
Theory of Activity. "AI has generally interpreted the organized nature
of everyday activity in terms of plan-following. Nobody could doubt
that people often make and follow plans. But the complexity,
uncertainty, and immediacy of the real world require a central role
for moment-to-moment improvisation." AAAI "Classic Paper" Award in
2006 for the paper's contribution to the field (and resurgence) of
reactive planning.
(http://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1987/AAAI87-048.pdf)

John Canny (1983). A Variational Approach to Edge Detection. "The
problem of detecting intensity changes in images is canonical in
vision. Edge detection operators are typically designed to optimally
estimate first or second derivative over some (usually small) support.
Other criteria such as output signal to noise ratio or bandwidth have
also been argued for. This paper describes an attempt to formulate set
of edge detection criteria that capture as directly as possible the
desirable properties of the detector." AAAI "Classic Paper" Award in
2002 in recognition of the wide use of the Canny Edge Detector
introduced in this paper as well as seminal contributions in the areas
of robotics and machine perception.
(http://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1983/AAAI83-030.pdf)

John McDermott (1980). R1: An Expert in the Computer Systems Domain.
"R1 is a rule-based system that has much in common with other
domain-specific systems that have been developed over the past several
years. It differs from these systems primarily in its use of Match
rather than Generate-and-Test as its central problem solving method;
rather than exploring several hypotheses until an acceptable one is
found, it exploits its knowledge of its task domain to generate a
single acceptable solution." AAAI "Classic Paper" Award in 1999.
(http://www.aaai.org/Papers/AAAI/1980/AAAI80-076.pdf)

Other good jumping off points:
http://aaai.org/AITopics/MostCitedPapers
http://www.jair.org/bestpaper.html