Jim Snavely on 19 Apr 2012 19:21:40 -0700

Re: We have has NoSQL Summer and Functional Fall, it is time to start preparing for AI Winter!

I will vote for the Shannon paper - the father of modern information
theory: yes please!

I think it will be especially interesting to hear his thoughts on a
discrete problem like chess because I normally associate Shannon with
probablistic reasoning. To me a more "representative" Shannon paper
would be "Prediction and Entropy of Printed English"
(http://www.princeton.edu/~wbialek/rome/refs/shannon_51.pdf) But Chess
is probably more fun!

The Canny paper wouldbe an interesting choice. Its a measure of how
much progress AI has made that most people no longer consider edge
detection to be AI.

I would also like to nominate a more modern choice, which I think will
also be a bit more accessible  because it touches on a critical divide
in modern AI - between probablistic, bottom-up methods, and
rationalistic, top-down thinking.

"On Chomsky and the Two Cultures of Statistical Learning" by Peter Norvig
http://norvig.com/chomsky.html

It also has the virtue of being a raw cage match between two
intellectual heavyweights, both of who I admire tremendously.

--Jim

--
--Jim