Warwick Poole on Wed Oct 12 17:35:21 2005

[PhillyOnRails] Introductions

  • From: wpoole@gmail.com (Warwick Poole)
  • Subject: [PhillyOnRails] Introductions
  • Date: Wed Oct 12 17:35:21 2005

Hi

I have been into unixy things since first logging into a FreeBSD box at
University in South Africa in 1995. A friend, who was one of the first PHP
development team members, introduced me to PHP and I have been alternating
dev/sysadmin roles in various media/publishing/software companies in South
Africa, London and now in Philadelphia and DC. Proficient in PHP for app
dev, Perl for sysadmin stuff. At the moment I sysadmin some 3-tier
enterprise applications in a mainly Solaris/Weblogic/Oracle world. I am a
PLUG member and recognize some of the names on this list from the PLUG lists
and meetings..

I am new to both Ruby and Rails, semi-new to MVC although I was a sysadmin
in a very Struts-y software shop once, so I have a little experience. I have
worked through most of the intro to Rails articles I can find and am busy
working through the Pragmatic Rails book. I have (ambitiously, stupidly?)
started building a rather complicated financial tracking tool in my spare
time in Rails so I can learn it. I am thinking seriously about going to the
Pragmatic Rails Studio in Reston. Who else from this list is going?

And this pic shows the power of AJAX on Rails:
http://flickr.com/photos/chrisglass/19608403/

Warwick