Andrew Libby on 28 Feb 2007 20:54:49 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] rails fastcgi issues

I've had the same issues with mod_proxy/ mongrel.  I've gotten
around it by setting up multiple apache vhosts and having other
parts of the site run from something like gallery.domain.com were
my rails app runs uner www.

Shoddy fix, I know.  And gets ugly when SSL enters the picture. I'll
probably begin to play with fcgi at some point, but just have not
gotten there yet.  I've not had good experiences with fcgi under
Catalyst which is why I went right to mongrel.

Andy

Aaron Mulder wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Joe Cairns <joe.cairns@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I had fastcgi problems and could never fully solve them.  I switched to
>> using Apache2, mod_proxy, and mongrel using this setup and never looked
>> back:
>> http://blog.innerewut.de/articles/2006/04/21/scaling-rails-with-apache-2-2-mod_proxy_balancer-and-mongrel
>>

> Have you done it where the proxy is less than the entire root
> directory?  e.g. have /foo on the Apache server go to "/" or "/foo" on
> the Rails servers?  My first stab at this didn't work because all the
> links in the pages to stylesheets, etc. were absolute links on the
> Rails side, which didn't fall into the required "/foo/*" context on
> the Apache side.  If there was an easy way to make them relative links
> or set up the routing appropriately on the Rails side that would be
> great.
>
> Thanks,
>       Aaron
>
>> On 2/28/07, Michael Scappa <mscappa@verveinternet.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > Any light someone can shed on this would be a big help.
>> >

>> > I'm having a ton of trouble getting rails to work with apache +
>> fastcgi on
>> a plesk 8 server.  Mongrel/webrick work totally fine.
>> >

>> > I keep getting routing errors:
>> >

>> > no route found to match "/test" with {:method=>:get}
>> >

>> > when trying to access anything besides the index page.
>> >

>> > Does anybody had experience getting this set up correctly?
>> >

>> > - Mike

Andrew Libby
Tangeis, LLC
Innovative IT Management Solutions