Flinn Mueller on 4 Jun 2007 15:22:14 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Hello; tips to avoid "newbie drownings in the Rails pool"...

  • From: Flinn Mueller <theflinnster@gmail.com>
  • To: talk@phillyonrails.org
  • Subject: Re: [PhillyOnRails] Hello; tips to avoid "newbie drownings in the Rails pool"...
  • Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 11:22:03 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:mime-version:in-reply-to:references:content-type:message-id:content-transfer-encoding:from:subject:date:to:x-mailer; b=I8ZHpdJnxFsNE4aD4CIoVfBh1wN03EJSEHSGTMYHUnPkGuKYI8YjD5PhY3nw1OTvWXqiJOmW2hY0dAdfE1OlqBS7Yq5YewHW1oxHmfe/Xdvv6OPzn9vpBSPeAQ90EcLD0r+e075oQDeuGR7Au0w+qwuZ06J5PqEnz8tMxqtcDsg=
  • Sender: talk-bounces@phillyonrails.org

Ditto, the mysql gem has problems on mac, otherwise I used the macports version of ruby rather than the one distributed with mac os.

For books, I really liked Beginning Ruby on Rails E-Commerce: From Novice to Professional ( http://www.apress.com/book/bookDisplay.html? bID=10178 )

As someone coming from PHP development I had never been exposed to test driven development, this books explains the virtues, and rather than antidotally mentioning TDD, the authors chose to write the entire book using TDD. I know other rails books concentrate on the whiz-bang ajax features and design patterns rails offers, but I think TDD is often overlooked in recent books, but I imagine it's getting more press nowadays.

--flinn