Flinn Mueller on 23 Jul 2007 15:58:20 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Somewhat OT, Statistics

On Jul 23, 2007, at 11:49 AM, Toby DiPasquale wrote:
E.g. in marketing, there is a technique that marketers call
"segmentation". This is essentially the act of breaking up your customers
or potential customers by some set of attributes. However, this is
typically done in an ad-hoc manner based on assumptions made by the person
doing the segmenting. A better approach is to use legitimate clustering
techniques to have the data tell you what clusters ("segments") exist and
not have to guess.

Assumptions! That was one thing that always pissed me off when I took stats in college. Guess and then see if the stats supports your hypothesis. I went to a business school and I think the prevailing attitude from the faculty was that most of the bus. ad. students weren't going to be doing any serious number crunching.