Cassius Rosenthal on 6 Sep 2007 13:58:44 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] jruby + hadoop?

Toby DiPasquale wrote:
On Wed, Sep 05, 2007 at 08:10:36PM -0400, Cassius Rosenthal wrote:
I'm not really sure what you mean by that last line. Every RDBMS that I've ever worked with had string pattern matching of some sort.

Good point. Now describe how Google would be built using Oracle. Your only
constraint is that it work like it does today.

I would start with this, and add more CPUs as needed: http://www.oracle.com/database/secure-enterprise-search.html [oh, snap!] (^_^)

Of course I understand your Socratic suggestion -- Google *probably* has better performance for that particular application (search engine) -- But you are suggesting that RDBMSs are inappropriate for semi-structured data. I think that is a bit of a stretch, and I think that widespread usage of MySQL (to pick one) attest to their usefulness for exactly that purpose.

Overall, I still nurture my original hesitations: talking about databases in terms of 'statelessness' is nonsensical; and predicting that map/reduce data storage will reduce RDBMS to a niche outside of web applications is overly ambitious at this stage.

My motivation here is professional courtesy: a little less than two years ago, I was told by *someone* (^_^) at PhillyOnRails that _continuations_ were the future of next-generation Rails apps. Oh, the time I've wasted . . .

I look forward to your slides, and to CouchDB. The interesting stuff always happens in alpha.

Thanks!
-Casey