Walter Lee Davis on 19 Sep 2007 13:58:51 -0000

Re: [PhillyOnRails] Ruby-Presenters and Non-ruby presenters?

In my own experience, as a mostly-PHP developer, I have a tremendous amount of respect and envy for the Rails environment. And I do know a lot about ActiveRecord, and also how hard it is to implement cleanly in PHP. Look at all the various Rails clones out there that struggle mightily to do what seems to come naturally in Ruby.

I think that many of the people who have knocked on the Rails door, but not come in, are still busy with PHP and either afraid of the Ruby learning curve or mired in legacy code without a financial incentive to move forward. I know that every time I try something in Rails, it gets a little harder to go back to my "regular" work. Kind of like how visiting San Francisco is for me...

Walter