David Turner on Fri, 16 Feb 2001 01:57:11 -0500

Re: Upcoming Events

Walt Mankowski wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 15, 2001 at 06:54:13PM -0500, Dave Turner wrote:
> > To continue in the vein of the discussion of the last meeting:
> >
> > <novalis> Right, and which is more standard, in computing generally?
> > <Gabriel> novalis: bits.
> > <novalis> Lines are done that way, but not connections (i.e. your
> > download speed meter in Netscape)
> > <Gabriel> novalis: in general refers to all fields, not just end users.
> > Hence, bits.
> > <novalis> Ok, how many bits is your HD?
> > <novalis> Your ram?
> > <novalis> a floppy?
> > <Peregrine> How many bytes is your HD or Ram?
> > <Peregrine> Quick grab your calculator.
> >
> > I'm willing to debate (on the bytes side, of course) on this....  Anyone
> > up for it?
> >
> > Mark, some variant of this would make a decent advocacy round.
>
> Bits and bytes are both "standard" (whatever that means).  It's like
> asking which is more standard, inches or miles?
>
> Walt

Oh, right, context :)

The context was "If it only takes 20k/sec, why won't it work on my 56k
modem?".  The answer was, of course, that modems are measured in bits,
while net bandwidth was (in this case, and in general) measured in
bytes.  I suggested changing this....  Well, maybe it *would* be better
for Advocacy than a technical talk.

--
-Dave Turner | The corporation and its subordinate divisions shall
-------------| have the sole and exclusive right to use the name, "Blue