Bill Jonas on Mon, 27 Aug 2001 15:12:20 -0400

Re: off-topic (sort of): DSL

On Mon, Aug 27, 2001 at 01:52:59PM -0400, Nguon Hao Ching wrote:
> A month later and still with no signal, I check Comcast again and
> @Home service is available!  I quickly fill out the order form, and a
> week later, on a Saturday the cable guy comes to install the cable
> line.  It takes maybe two hours, and I haven't had a problem since.

I had a similarly painless experience with Comcast @Home.  They're who
I presently have broadband with; Speakeasy told me that Verizon requires
a line to be active for 30 days before any third-party DSL orders get
placed.  I was impatient, received a flier in the mail advertising @Home
service (running a special, $9.95/month for three months) and thought
I'd give them a try while I was waiting.

They had the television up and running by Wednesday (I ordered it the
previous Friday, they came on Tuesday and the guy had problems, so they
sent somebody else Wednesday).  I then called and ordered Internet
service.  They mailed me a self-install kit and I was up and going
within a couple of weeks.

It's not too bad; I've seen transfer rates burst over 400KB/s (yes,
that's kilo-*bytes*), it was dirt simple to set up (if you're doing in
*nix, then you need to configure your DHCP to pass the hostname that
they give you), and it's really cheap.  On the down side, ping times to
the gateway vary wildly, the service has gone down for a few minutes at
a time several times now, and their TOS prohibit servers.  I'm on
whatever segment services Media.

</ramble>

"As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others,  we should
be glad of an opportunity to serve others by any invention of ours; and
this we should do freely and generously."          -- Benjamin Franklin