James Keenan on 30 Jun 2006 02:14:57 -0000

Re: meetings and time

On Jun 29, 2006, at 9:46 PM, Hans Dieter Pearcey wrote:

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:59:03AM -0400, Mark Jason Dominus wrote:
Would it be out of line to suggest that since Walt's studies don't
seem to leave him time to organize PM events, he should step down in
favor of someone else who does have time and will do it?

I don't think it would be out of line to suggest that, but I am afraid that the reason no one else is stepping up is because they don't have the time either, as opposed to not wanting to step on Walt's toes.

A friendly lurker's perspective:

I spoke with Walt at YAPC and he did feel that his PhD studies have meant that he hasn't been able to do as much with phl.pm as in previous years. Since I co-moderate a Perl users group myself, I feel his pain.

May I offer some suggestions:

1. From my past forays into phl.pm territory (MJD preview talks a couple of years back), it's clear that there's a goodly number of people in your area interested in Perl.
2. From past participation in YAPC, I know that those people are sociable (spell: beer).
3. If 1-2 people took the initiative to organize 6-9 social meetings over the next 12 months, that would be great! As ny.pm has demonstrated, purely social meetings do not have to be scheduled on the same day every month in order to succeed (though I think that would be helpful).
4. Perl Seminar NY -- which handles the tech meetings part of the public Perl activity in NYC -- schedules 8 tech meetings in a year, always on the same night of the month ('cause that's when we can get the room). If phl.pm held, say, quarterly meetings on the same day of the month in the same location, that would be feasible -- and great, too!
5. And if you held any of your activities on Friday nights or weekends, ny.pmers could conceivably attend as well.

jimk

-