Hans Dieter Pearcey on 30 Jun 2006 14:25:02 -0000

Re: meetings and time

On Thu, Jun 29, 2006 at 10:50:03PM -0400, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> Both are true.  For instance, I've given up trying to organize dinner
> meetings after only 1 or 2 people showed up at the last few we had,
> and because of what I perceived to be general apathy on the list
> regarding dinner meetings.

This could be an indication that we should consider changing days.
In the last 6-12 months, Mondays have become increasingly full for me.

> I'd be more than happy to hand over the leadership of the group to
> someone else if they think they can do a better job.  We've talked
> about having a meeting in a few weeks so that Geoff Young can practice
> his OSCON talk.  Should we have an election that night?

Maybe it would make more sense to talk about ways to split up the
burdens of leadership so that one single person doesn't have to take
over everything from you.  That would both make stepping forward easier
for (at least) me right now and probably lead to more stability for the
group in the long run.

For example (off the top of my head):

---
1. decide on the next day to meet, whatever kind of meeting it is

2. decide on a place to eat for the next dinner meeting

3. find someone to give the next talk, and maybe a backup in case that
   person has to cancel

4. find a place to have the next technical talk

Dealing with people and their schedules is a pain, so maybe 1) and 3)
could each have a person devoted to them.  2) just takes google maps and
being decisive, and 4) will probably almost always be the same, so the
same person could do them both.
---

My point is not so much that I think this is the ideal breakdown of
responsibility, but rather that if we have this kind of vocabulary for
talking about running the group, it will be easier for us to break the
backs of fewer camels.

hdp.
-