LeRoy D. Cressy on Wed, 28 Oct 1998 08:14:58 -0500 (EST)

Re: Fvwm2 Config Files

Alexander John Batyi wrote:

> > Configuring X, especially to a new user is a daunting task.  Not
> > only do you have to set up an XF86config file, but you also have
> > to configure and choose a window manager.  Also every distribution
> > puts the configuration files in a different place.  The trick is to
> > know the name of the file that you are looking for and use locate
> > or find to find it for you.
>
> I don't know if this is Slackware specific since I haven't installed
> any other distributions outside of SuSe one time but...  I use a command
> called XF86Setup which takes care of the config file as well as the link
> to X.  It fires up the vga16 server for the configure and lets you
> select the video board parameters, the display parameters, the server, the
> mouse parameters and the keyboard type.  It has a database of video boards
> to start with and then you can tweak it with an advanced screen.  When
> it is finished you can click to run vidtune and fine tune the screen
> parameters in real time.  It beats xf86config (the program not the
> /etc/XF86Config file) which may also be Slackware specific.  Sorry to be
> so Slack-o-centric but _I_like_it!_. (religious blurb)
Hi All,

In configuring X setting up the XF86Config file is only part of the
problem of setting up X.  The XF86Config file can be set up with either
of the two utilities, but what started this discussion was concerning
the window manager configuration.  You not only have a choice of window
managers, but each has a different configuration.  Some people like
click to focus while others like having the focus change acording to the
position of the mouse.  Some like a 3 x 3 pager, while others like 3 x 5
pager.  Some like xdm while others don't.  Some others like logging on
to the system from other machines and have to setup xauthority to comply
with their desires.

All of these varables make the configuration of X a daunting task for
the new user.  While X gives the user options that other windowing
systems only talk about, with all of these options configuration may
seem over whelming.  Every box that I have looked at that different
users have set up looks different.  Some place the pager in the upper
left hand corner of the display while others don't even have a pager.
Also each user on the system has the option to configure their own
configuration files in their home directory.

This is what I was talking about when I wrote about configurating X.  It
is far more complex than just setting up the
XF86Config file.

Have a Good Day :-)
--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037