David L. Martin on Thu, 10 Dec 1998 23:28:42 -0500 (EST)

Re: PPP problems solved....almost.

On Thu, 10 Dec 1998, Dave Moylan wrote:
> Well.  Thanks again to all the helpful messages.  It turns out
> my problem was with the escape character option using pppd.
> I forget the exact syntax but pppd was treating FF as an escape
> character.  That was the default setting of the ppp-on script
> that was installed on my system.  I guess that'll teach me to
> start simple.  I tried removing it after reading that the
> asynch map option was giving someone else trouble when trying
> to connect to a primarily windoze ISP.  My only problem now is
> that I keep losing my connection after 2 or 3 minutes.  Perhaps
> the priority on the serial port is too low and I'm get buffer
> overruns?  Who knows...but I'm 90% there.  Thanks again to
> everyone who took the time.  dave moylan

You've got noise on your phone line, I ran in to all of the above problems
and previous problems with just a little bit of random noise.

Try 9600 baud...

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

186,000 mps: It's not just a good idea, it's the law.