Michael on Wed, 13 Jan 1999 09:24:27 -0500 (EST)

Re: Newbie - struggling with printer

>>  My reply to artworks's mail was:
> Hi -
>
>    I'm still struggling with the basics of getting up and running.
>
>    Typing  "lpr" produces 'can't  transfer to ps@art" (I used art
> as my system id).
>
>    My best guess is that my printer is on 'lp1' - this is the only
> port which I can use to make the printer respond at all. This
> is not cpnsistant with my manuals which indicate that lp0 should
> correspond to LPTR 1 - the DOS location.

The printer names are totally depedent upon what you have in
/etc/printcap ;  You could name a printer on port /dev/lpt0
lp0, or you could name it swiss cheese.

Since you seem to be running redhat, sending your
/var/spool/lpd/ps/.config file might be helpful to the list,
as well as info from /proc/{devices,ioports}, output from
dmesg (8)  .

Be forewarned that the BSD lpr system is and probably always will
be fertile ground for security-related problems.  If you're
the type to be concerned with that type of thing, i highly
recommend installing LPRNG.

$.02.

_M.

>     /etc/printcap follows.
>
>    Any suggestions ??
>
> Thanks,
> Arthur Newmark

> #	:sh:
> ##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL ljet4 600x600 letter {}
> ps:\
>         :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:\
>         :mx#0:\
>         :lp=/dev/lp1:\