artworks on Tue, 12 Jan 1999 23:19:11 -0500 (EST)

Newbie - struggling with printer

Hi -

   I'm still struggling with the basics of getting up and running.

   Typing  "lpr" produces 'can't  transfer to ps@art" (I used art
as my system id).

   My best guess is that my printer is on 'lp1' - this is the only
port which I can use to make the printer respond at all. This
is not cpnsistant with my manuals which indicate that lp0 should
correspond to LPTR 1 - the DOS location.

    /etc/printcap follows.

   Any suggestions ??

Thanks,
Arthur Newmark

# /etc/printcap
#
# Please don't edit this file directly unless you know what you are
doing!
# Be warned that the control-panel printtool requires a very strict
format!
# Look at the printcap(5) man page for more info.
#
# This file can be edited with the printtool in the control-panel.

##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL ljetplus 600x600 letter {}
#ps:\
#        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:\
#        :mx#0:\
#        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
#        :if=/var/spool/lpd/ps/filter:\
#        :sh:
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL
#lp:\
#	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
#	:mx#0:\
#	:lp=/dev/lp1:\
#	:sh:
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL ljetplus 600x600 letter {}
#ps:\
#        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:\
#        :mx#0:\
#        :lp=/dev/lp0:\
#        :if=/var/spool/lpd/ps/filter:\
#        :sh:
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL
#lp:\
#	:sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
#	:mx#0:\
#	:lp=/dev/lp0:\
#	:sh:
##PRINTTOOL## LOCAL ljet4 600x600 letter {}
ps:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps:\
        :mx#0:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\