Rebecca Ore on Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:36:06 -0500 (EST)

Re: Please don't email me and cc the list

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 07:57:57PM -0500, Vik Bajaj wrote:

> RH 5.2 ships with sendmail.   Qmail can be configured to do two styles
> of mail delivery;  the default mbox style is to put the mail in
> ~/Mailbox.  In any case, procmail should be immune to this when
> invoked in the right place (i.e. via .forward or .qmail by a
> directive).

According to the information I was working with, with sendmail, I didn't
need a .forward file.  I had sendmail, and so needed a procmail that
worked with that, not with qmail.  Got it by compiling it and very much
like the combination of sendmail with the configuration changes that
friends helped me make.  When I upgraded, I eyeballed the new conf. file
and changed it as per the old configuration file.  All appears to be
working.  Procmail is compiled.  Fetchmail is Eric's rpm.  Mutt is
compiled (just did 'which mutt,' yes, /usr/local/bin).

I think qmail is supposed to be easier, but as a lot of people here
probably know, the easiest system is the one you already know.  Sendmail
conf required work beyond what I could have done on my own.  If qmail
configuration is easier, then if you haven't done anything at all
before, try that.

Most of the more ridiculous flame wars stem from precisely this -- what
you know is always easier than something new.  I think maybe people who
are completely new to Linux should look at documentation and see what
would suit their own tastes, absent security considerations.  And
someone who's using dynamic IP addresses and isn't on-line constantly
really has almost nothing to worry about in that regard unless he or she
is very active in net abuse issues (more than I am).

If you're running a LAN or using a static IP and/or offering web hosting,
the odds favor the more security driven approach.

What are you going to be doing with it is the question.

--
Rebecca Ore
Creativity is playing with the rule sets