Rebecca Ore on Mon, 18 Jan 1999 20:14:26 -0500 (EST)

Re: Please don't email me and cc the list

On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 07:37:23PM -0500, Walt Mankowski wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 18, 1999 at 07:10:16PM -0500, Rebecca Ore wrote:
> > It's for qmail and won't work with sendmail directories.  Of course, if
> > you have qmail, it's fine.  Otherwise, things bounce to high heaven
> > unless you have your /var/spool/ set up in qmail files, something like
> > /var/spool/mail/r/re/rebecca, rather than /var/spool/mail/rebecca.  If you
> > have many users, the qmail directory structure will be file, but you
> > will also need qmail.
> >
> > I take it that RH 5.2 uses qmail.
>
> Nope.  Qmail isn't even part of the RH 5.2 distribution.  It must be
> something wrong with your setup.  I just installed RH 5.2 over the
> weekend and procmail is working great with sendmail.

The rpm in the current contributed releases on the mirror is for qmail,
Nothing compiled of the *latest* procmail suited to sendmail -- so I used
a tarball and compiled.

Typical RedHat fup-up.  Reminds me of the time they were releasing Gimp
without the gtk and without letting folks know about the dependencies..

(See alt.sysadmin.recovery for further dissection of RedHat by two
experienced Gnome beta testers).

It's the only upgrade that's available in the contributed section.
RedHat is bad about some of the contributed tarballs.  I was hoping
there was a halfway rational explanation but obviously it's just one of
those RedHat things.  A compiled procmail from the latest tarball works
just fine.

The sendmail rpm was okay though.

--
Rebecca Ore
Never ascribe to malice what can be explained by stupidity unless you