Roger Scudder on Sat, 30 Jan 1999 02:06:50 -0500 (EST)

win98 and Linux

On Fri, 29 January 1999, Roger Scudder wrote:
>> In a nut shell... the idea is to install windows 98 first making sure
>> leave enough
>> unused disk space for Linux; Configure any plug and play devices via
>> Windows;
>> Install Linux;  When installing LILO do NOT install it into the MBR.
>> Instead, Install
>> it on the Linux partition.

>How does the LILO loader get called then?
>You seem to be saying that Windows is going to give you the chance to run
>LILO, did they actually allow for that?  If so where is that configured.
>Can you tell I know nothing about Windows?

No...  If windows doesn't have it's MBR exactlly the way it likes
it: total domination, Bill Gates style.  If you over write that
data it will not boot.

After looking at the HOW-TO's I think I may be confusing the way
I set up LILO with system commander and the way I had previously
done it.  It looks like LILO is able to rewrite the active partition
flags of all the drives at boot time.  Maybe it IS possible to
overwrite the MBR that Windows installs and still boot Windows
afterall.

An alternative is to use the Windows startup menu and add a slot
to run Loadlin.  That's a bit cumbersome, IMHO.

As always the rule is: Never setup your system based on the advice
of some nut who writes in your LUG.  Read The Flippin' Manual.

Roger C. Scudder Jr.
Philadelphia, PA, US
rscudder@usa.net
I'd rather be running Linux!