David L. Martin on Sat, 30 Jan 1999 14:56:16 -0500 (EST)

Re: Laplink for Linux?

On Sat, 30 Jan 1999, Martin DiViaio wrote:
> There is a program for Win95 called LapLink. This program allows remote
> file sharing, chat and GUI control between two computers. It can do this
> either with a direct connection, a network or through a modem.

As I under stand this it is simliar to pcanywhere, but goes through
the printer port right?

> I am told that remote GUI control is possible between two Linux machines
> with X but is such a thing possible between Win95 and Linux? If so, is
> it possible through a modem connection? How would I set it up (for BOTH
> machines?) (Keep in mind that I while I am learning fast, I am still new
> to Linux.) If not, is there any sort of software package that can do it?
> Even if the package can only go in one direction (Linux controlling
> Win95) I can live with it.

Linux-Linux is easy, I've got several machines and only one
monitor/keyboard and it is so seamless I keep forgetting which machine I'm
on.

As far as Linux-Windoze I would consider the following:
	1. ppp through a null modem cable.
	2. network cards in both machines.
Basically you goal is to provide a way of networking the two machines
together.

Once the network is up Windows->Linux is easy, both telnet and 'X'
solutions should give you good conectivity to the Linux machine from
Windoes.

Unfortunately Mickeysoft has little to no connectivity built-in, any
Linux->Windows connectivity will be limited to resource sharing, without
spending money on clients and servers for the Windows machine.

David L. Martin        <dlmarti@njcc.com>
R&D Software Engineer  http://pluto.njcc.com/~dlmarti

Serving coffee on aircraft causes turbulence.