Jason Costomiris on Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:00:55 -0500 (EST)

Fetchmail problems..

Using fetchmail 4.5.8.  ~/.fetchmailrc generated by fetchmailconf.  I
invoke fetchmail, it connects to the POP server, authenticates properly
using APOP.  It starts downloading mail, and does the SMTP forwarding
stuff correctly.  The problem comes on the last message.  If I have N
messages, fetchmail downloads N - 1 messages.  It then just sits there,
and doesn't do much of anything.  I see activity on the ISDN router,
and even sniffed the network.  It seems that I'm getting a bunch of
"." characters and nothing else.  Message N never gets RETR'd.

Where did I err?  BTW - the POP server on the other end is a MetaInfo
POP3 server (from their Sendmail for NT package).  Eudora for Windoze
NT is able to pick up from it, but I don't want to use NT. :-)

By the way, fetchmail doesn't send DELE commands after successful RETR's.
Is it just me, or shouldn't it do that?

Here's my .fetchmailrc, edited to remove the passwords...

# Configuration created Sun Feb 14 20:44:30 1999 by fetchmailconf
set daemon 300
set syslog
set postmaster "jcostom"
poll mail.somewhere.org with proto APOP
       user "lusername" there with password "password" is jcostom here

[anthrax:jcostom](10:04pm)
/home/jcostom$ fetchmail -V
This is fetchmail release 4.5.8
Linux anthrax.jasons.org 2.0.36 #2 Sun Feb 14 15:16:20 EST 1999 i586 unknown
Taking options from command line and /home/jcostom/.fetchmailrc
Poll interval is 300 seconds
Idfile is /home/jcostom/.fetchids
Progress messages will be logged via syslog
Fetchmail will forward misaddressed multidrop messages to jcostom.
Options for retrieving from lusername@mail.somewhere.org:
  True name of server is mail.somewhere.org.
  Protocol is APOP.
  Server nonresponse timeout is 300 seconds (default).
  Default mailbox selected.
  Only new messages will be retrieved (--all off).
  Fetched messages will not be kept on the server (--keep off).
  Old messages will not be flushed before message retrieval (--flush off).
  Rewrite of server-local addresses is enabled (--norewrite off).
  Carriage-return stripping is disabled (stripcr off).
  Carriage-return forcing is disabled (forcecr off).
  Interpretation of Content-Transfer-Encoding is enabled (pass8bits off).
  MIME decoding is disabled (mimedecode off).
  Nonempty Status lines will be kept (dropstatus off)
  Messages will be SMTP-forwarded to: localhost (default)
  Recognized listener spam block responses are: 571 550 501
  Single-drop mode: 1 local name(s) recognized.
  No UIDs saved from this host.

--
                 Jason Costomiris <><
            Technologist, cryptogeek, human.