Kenny, Vale T on Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:00:56 -0500 (EST)

RE: Elegant snippet from an overall excellent piece...

		While you are correct, for business, it does come down to
the almighty $, I think you are missing the perspective.  Put in simpler
terms, do you want to teach someone how to use a shovel, or train them to
operate a backhoe?  Whilst the shovel user will be useless in a backhoe, the
backhoe operator will be able to jump out of the backhoe and pick up a
shovel anytime.
		I'd much rather have a staff of users that feel comfortable
moving about in a powerful environment, knowing they can perform some level
of basic analysis of a computer problem before turning to a support person.
Equally, these folks will more easily move down to simpler platforms, with
the confidence which arises from familiarity with a more powerful tool.
That is to say, UNIX users can use NT with relative ease, whereas NT users
are virtually helpless on a UNIX system.
		It all depends on your perspective.  Are you in for
immediate gratification, with limited return, or will you hold out for an
investment which will benefit you for the long term.
		This concept is integral to the current difficulties we are
experiencing in American society.  We have a society built on immediate
gratification, which will lead to speedy returns, but the long term growth
is questionable.  We currently have the ability to perform almost any
technological feat we choose, but because of a desire to make money !NOW!,
we cripple our ability to develop higher, long term yields in the future.
		Sorry, off on a tangent.  I see many parallels in the battle
between UNIX and NT and the rest of life.  Do you want the hot babe on your
arm now because she looks good now, or are you seeking someone who can
recite the first fourteen quatrains of "The Rubiyat of Omar Khayyam" and
will continue to blow your mind for years to come?  A question of
perspective.
		Again, sorry for the lark.
		Do you understand my point though?  It is something that
UNIX has always known, IBM learned, and Micro$lop is about to learn.

		Vale Theodore Kenny KSC
		Work		(215) 444-7374
		Pager		(215) 312-7565
		Cell		(215) 480-7026
		Home		(610) 948-2005
		John Postel, You WILL be Missed
		C:\WINDOWS\RUN; C:\WINDOWS\CRASH; C:\ME\FDISK;
/usr/src/linux