Rick Greene on Tue, 9 Mar 1999 13:46:42 -0500 (EST)

newcomer: need help with mounting a CD

Greetings fellow linux-ers.

I'm in the process of trying to install the Slackware distribution of Linux on a Pentium computer with a pair of IDE harddrives and an IDE CD-ROM drive.  I downloaded the 3.6 version of Slackware to my Win95 PC and used Adaptec's Easy CD software to make an Joliet-based CDROM (with long filenames).  I can mount the CD on my linux box, but any file that did not have a specific extension has the period in the filename anyway.  For example,

./modules/a1/diska1
 is being shown as
./modules/a1/diska1.

This, of course, is causing the setup and pkgtool programs to choke because they can't find the label file with that extra period on it.

Does anyone know a way to get a Joliet-based CDROM mounted so that it doesn't display trailing periods on extension-less names, or an alternate way to burn a CD from a Win95 machine so that the period doesn't get written in the first place?

Thanks,

Rick Greene
Unix guru, Linux neophyte