Kyle Burton on Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:14:35 -0400 (EDT)

Re: X through a telnet session?

> Is it possible run X through a telnet session?  If so, could
> someone send me to the documentation.

Yes.  It's really simple if you ahve an X server on the box you're
sitting at, just telet in.  Export DISPLAY=<ipaddress of yoru box>:0.0
and run word perfect.  As long as your X server is accepting connections
it will show up on your display.  You can allow a host under Xfree by
using xhost +hostname.

You can't really run X thorugh tlenet, but you can have applications running
on the sever box display on your screen.

Of course, you could use rsh/rlogin (using ssh of course) scripts to start
this stuff automaticly for them...that way they wouldn't have to know how
to do the shell commands...give 'em a clickable solution...whatever you
want.

> What I am pondering is if it is possible to get X running
> through a telnet session, then is is possible to get Corel
> Word Perfect running as well.  My grand vision is to have
> the secretarial staff at the office telnet into the linux
> box that in turn will use samba to access the word
> processing documents.  The purpose of which is so that if
> one chooses, they connect to their ISP and telnet into the
> linux box start an x session and load Word Perfect for Linux
> so they can work from home on a weekend instead of slogging
> into the office. (Am I asking tooooo much :}

You'll need an X server on the client side.  You can get a free X server,
I think there's on e called MIX that you can get for Win32 for free.
Dont' use telnet though, make sure you have and use ssh, not only is
telnet insecure, but X across an untrusted network is even less secure.
ssh has the ability to encrypt your X traffic, and make it safe.

kyle