John McKee on Fri, 9 Apr 1999 12:43:14 -0400 (EDT)

Re: X through a telnet session?

You could try VNC, but I wouldn't recommend it over and internet connection.

With VNC, you can login via telnet, launch vncserver on the Linux box, then launch vncviewer on the
Win9x/NT box to view what's actually going on at the Linux box.  BTW, this also supports multiple
virtual X-sessions.  i.e, I can login to the linux box under more than one user name and launch a
vncserver session under each user name.  A screen number is then assigned.  Subsequently, from the
NT box, I can launch a vncviewer session for each vncserver session on the Linux box.  I use KDE,
and the viewer on NT will appear just like on the Linux box (well, almost).  Can't speak to
performance under this scenario, but I'd expect you'd need a workhorse as the Linux box if you
planned to support more than one or two simultaneous vnc sessions.

Sorry I don't have the url for vnc, but a web search should point it out.  Email me if you can't
find it.  Oh, and it FREE!!!

HTH,

On Fri, 09 Apr 1999 12:00:52 -0400, you wrote:

>Is it possible run X through a telnet session?  If so, could
>someone send me to the documentation.
>What I am pondering is if it is possible to get X running
>through a telnet session, then is is possible to get Corel
>Word Perfect running as well.  My grand vision is to have
>the secretarial staff at the office telnet into the linux
>box that in turn will use samba to access the word
>processing documents.  The purpose of which is so that if
>one chooses, they connect to their ISP and telnet into the
>linux box start an x session and load Word Perfect for Linux
>so they can work from home on a weekend instead of slogging
>into the office. (Am I asking tooooo much :}

John McKee
jmckee@voicenet.com