LeRoy D. Cressy on Mon, 12 Apr 1999 12:16:13 -0400 (EDT)

Re: Problem with the clock

Martin DiViaio wrote:

> I'm having a weird problem with my system clock. When ever I just leave
> the machhine sit, the system clock stops.
>
> The only things that I can think of that might affect the clock are that
> I have APM support and Real Time Clock support compiled into my kernel.
> I am using the 2.0.36 version. I also run a X/AfterStep app called
> asclock but not as root and root is the only one that can change the
> clock.
>
> Does anyone have any idea what might be going on here?

I don't know, but have you tried

hwclock --show

to view the hardware clock?  Also, when you say that you leave the
machine sit can I assume that it is still up and running?  If the system
is turned off and on a reboot the clock is messed up, then you may need
a new battery.  If the real time clock is running and the system clock
stops you have an interesting problem.  But from reading your message I
think that your problem is with the system software clock and not with
the hardware clock.

How about sending the hwclock --show and the output from the date comand
that can be used to set the system time which is independant frome the
hardware clock time.  Then we can determine which clock is failing.

--
          0 0      L & R Associates
           "       Home Page:    http://www.netaxs.com/~ldc/

LeRoy D. Cressy     	 /\_/\		ldc@netaxs.com
Computer Consulting 	( o.o )		Phone (215) 535-4037