Scott R. Myers on Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:51:14 -0400 (EDT)

Single Sign On for Linux

I'm trying to build into my constantly growing farm of Linux boxes a single
scheme for centrally managing my username/password adds and changes.

Currently any change requires me logging into every box and doing a passwd.
 I don't have a lot of accounts or dozens of machines but at the same time
it's only me and I want to make my life easier not harder as I add more.

Two ideas I've had so far that I want some comment on are:

1) NIS - This seems like a plausible solution but the downside is it only
applies to my Linux boxes or other varients of Unix.  If I want to include
my communications gear I can't (i.e. Cisco routers).

2) RADIUS - Seems like a good way to cover all bases but I can't (I haven't
looked to hard) find a way for RADIUS client support to be integrated into
a Linux login.

3) RADIUS & NIS - There is the possibility that I could set up both and
have RADIUS Server support proxy it's login request from the NIS database.
That way I can make a change in the NIS database and all communication
devices pointing to the RADIUS server would effectively be changed as well.

Any other options would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

srm