Jeff Dean on Tue, 11 May 1999 10:12:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: cu

The command should just be:

  cu -l /dev/modem (that's a "dash-ell")

with the exit command:

  ~. (that's a "tilde-dot")

Jeff Dean

Christian Grigis <glove@earthling.net> on 05/10/99 10:57:13 PM

 To:      plug@lists.nothinbut.net

 cc:

 Subject: Re: cu

     Hello,

     Probably silly question, but has the machine been rebooted
since
you commited this "sin"? If not, maybe there is still a pppd
deamon wandering
about, locking the modem? (just kill -9 it, if it is the case,
and hopefully
it will work).
     If not, I'd suggest trying the package "minicom" to test the
modem,
it is basically a Telix-clone, and you should be able to talk
directly to the
modem (ATZ, etc.).

     Good luck!

-Christian

On Mon, May 10, 1999 at 04:04:21PM -0700, Brian Spooner wrote:
> I wonder if someone could help me with the "cu" command.  I
want to use
> it to test my modem (my PPP connection is broken).  I have read
the
> appropriate HOW-TOs and man pages, but am unable to put
together a series
> of arguments that will make it work.  My best effort produces
an error
> message about the availability of a port.  I am running RedHat
5.2.

> Let me add a description of my PPP problem, in case someone has
any ideas
> about it.  It broke when I mistakenly tried to initiate it
while it was
> active (surely no great sin!).  since then when I initiate it I
get no
> dialtone and no dialing sound, even though if I connect a phone
through it
> I do get the dial tone.  I have reinstalled PPP.
>
> I would be very grateful for any suggestions

subject