Michael on Thu, 3 Jun 1999 21:22:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] still the newbie

>>  My reply to Christian Betz's mail was:
> > reinstall 5.2 and see if it still happens.  Does anyone have any other
> > suggestions.
> >
> Wait just one second. My friend has bellatlantic and he has to use some
> kind of authentication, either PAP, CHAP, or MSCHAP. I know very little
> about this but what will happen is that it will dial and seem to connect,
> but in reality you never actually have a link up and running. I don't think
> reinstalling an older distro will help much.
>
> I am almost sure someone else on this list knows how to fix your problem.
> Once your modem dials, you can definitely get your connection to work.

<GRIPE>
Our house *used to* use bellatlantic.net up until a couple of days ago
 they sent us a bill for ~ $700, a notice for our extensive usage.
Apparently they'd emailed us a couple of months ago detailing the changes to
our "unlimited" contract, which they'd changed w/o our approval.

Of course we'd never checked the email for our account, of
little fault to ourselves.  A few hours on the phone with a number of
BA reps cleared up the matter, much thanks to my brother Andrew
<andy@westphila.net>
</GRIPE>

In any case, I'd configured our original gateway using redhat 5.x & netcfg.
You'll definaly need PAP authentication, in which case
your /etc/ppp/pap-secrets file should look like:

username        ppp0    passwd-in-plain-text

hope this helps.

_M.

--
_Michael_Jastremski_mike@westphila.net_   "I am so game it's not even funny..."