Scott R. Myers on Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:18:42 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] VMware for Linux

I tested it over the past weekend and the bottom line is: Very stable for a
1.0 release and works as advertised.

Specifics:
Software
-------------
RedHat Linux 6.0 with Gnome (host operating system)
Windows NT 4.0 w/Service Pack 5
Microsoft Office 98
Netscape Navigator 4.08

Hardware
-------------
AMD K6/2 400Mhz
192MB RAM
1.6 GB Disk (I swapped my main drive so don't laugh :-)
yada yada yada

It performs well given I have a decent power plant.  I'm shocked how easy
it was to install NT.  It creates a virtual PC and you just put in your CD
and tell the virtual PC to boot and voila a windows NT setup screen.

Networking was perfect.  IP, Windows Networking, and the like.  I hadn't
tried any non-ip based networking but based on the method used to emulate
networking I have to assume it would work fine regardless of protocol.

Download the windows performance pack from vmware and you get the drivers
to support true color at the max resolution reported by Xfree86.

All in all I think I'll start using it seriously in the not too distant future.