ray beckler on Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:12:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] A question about installing Linux

Andy Bradley wrote:

> I have been pretty much just lurking for a few months and decided it
> was time to get a Linux box running. I have a problem loading Red Hat.
> This is my first real attempt at Linux or any Unix OS. I have a P133
> with 48 meg ram, a 4.3 gig western digital HD partitioned into two ~2
> gig partitions using Western Digital's EZ drive.  My bios does not
> support large drives.  I have Windows 95 on the first partition and
> have installed RH on the second partition.  I wish to dual boot the
> box.  The install seems to go smoothly. I set up the Linux native and
> swap partitions, choose the packages to install.  Everything is fine
> until it is time to reboot.  I get the Ram Check, EZ Bios runs and
> then I just get "LI" and the box freezes up.  Now I can not get at the
> Win95.  Is Linux compatible with EZ Bios?  Is there something else I
> am missing?  TIA Andrew Bradley

Andrew,

I get the "LI" usually after a win95 blow up.  Just powering down and
restarting usually does the trick.  I also got it just after installing
lilo for the first time.

I've got redhat6.0, SCO openserver 5.2 and win95 on the same machine.
Lilo is installed on the second partition of my primary drive.  I had
problems with it on the first partition.  Where did you install it?  Try
the second partition.

ray