Jason M. Lenthe on Tue, 6 Jul 1999 14:16:33 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Which modem to buy for Linux

To honest with you I don't know how common they are because I'm still using
my 28.8 and minicom too heh heh,  but I read that about winmodems somewhere
in a howto and it seemed pretty emphatic.  So I would guess that, yes, a
cheapy modem should work as long it isn't a winmodem and supports whatever
the modem standard is.   You could always ask them what their return policy
is, and if its easily returnable just "take 'er home, plug 'er in and see
if it smokes..."

Jason