Vettese, Nick A on Mon, 12 Jul 1999 11:48:52 -0400 (EDT)

RE: [Plug] RE: NT Rant

I work in an all NT shop, and we use standards here to make sure whatever is
happening to you, doesn't happen to us.  Being a Network Admin, we regularly
use tools such as Winbatch to see if anyone is running anything that they
aren't supposed to, and to reghost their PCs as soon as we find out if they
are loading anything onto their PCs.  we also have standard server builds so
that everything is identical.  I feel that having these standards in place
have saved us from many crashes, hangups, blue screens, etc...  Even with
Linux, installing unsupported software can cause your PC to fail, and I have
seen it.
Nick

-----Original Message-----
From: Jason S. [mailto:jason@survival.net]
Sent: Monday, July 12, 1999 10:24 AM
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] RE: NT Rant

Gregory.Josephs@phila.gov wrote:

> Vale.Kenny@vanguard.com wrote:

<snip>
> > Just a small rant..
>
> I don't have a Linux system of my own (yet), so I use NTW4.0 five days a
week.
> Frankly, I haven't had
> a "blue screen of death" in over a month now, and this is typical.  Of
course, I
> turn it off at the end of
> each day - for security, and after all, we all know it won't run for a
full week
> without crashing, so why
> bang my head on a brick wall?
<snip>

Here's my take. Use what you like. I've used both OS's. I still use
windows for gaming. Altho I tend to boot windows, play a game then
reboot back to linux immediately. Its not about which is 'better' its
about what works and what you like. I happen to like X more than
windows. I'm used to linux and use it out of habit. In the long run,
whats going to make linux a success, isnt 'beating' NT. Its going to
succeed because it fits in with the rest of your OS's in the enterprise.
Linux and the *bsd's make rather nice file/ftp/mail servers. They're
suited to those rolls and should be used for them. Integrating virus
scanners and sendmail is a perfect example. Why? Easy, your first line
of defense is your mail server. If you can catch them at the mail server
(linux, solaris, whatever) then you've saved yourself a lot of headache.
Despite the fact that the server wont be affected, you still save a good
amount of time not having to scan your entire network after its too
late.

I like linux. Its stable, its consistant, I've been using it since I
think about '92. It probably shouldnt be on everyones desktop, but that
doesnt mean it cant help them. I dunno, I think having one OS of any
kind is a bad thing. This isnt really going anywhere, so I'll just stop
now
--
J.

When I grow up, I wanna be more like me.
I had a clue. I didn't like it. I took it back and exchanged it for an
attitude.