Rebecca Ore on Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:42:32 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] uninstalling

On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 04:01:35PM -0400, Michael Whitman wrote:
> This is msql - a different program.  I couldn't find an uninstall file.
> What do you do if there is not an uninstall file - just erase the program?
> In Windows NT you always have an uninstall program, or you have the
> ADD/REMOVE control panel.  I am new to Linux and have figured out how to
> use rpms and run installation scripts in tarballs.  I am wondering how to
> uninstall stuff in general in linux.

There's not an uninstall *file*, it's an option in the make file.  If
you have the source tree, try cd-ing to it, su to root, and type "make
uninstall."  If you only have the tarball, rebuilt it and then instead
of installing it, do the "make uninstall."  If that doesn't work, it's
time to pick the files out by hand, but do try that first.  I've even
installed newer versions and then did a "make uninstall" when I couldn't
get the original tarball (smaller programs only).

--
Rebecca Ore