Kevin Hill on Mon, 26 Jul 1999 12:42:45 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Oracle8.0.5 for Linux

People who ask questions once and learn from the answers become
powerful.

People who simply repeat their questions rather than learning from the
answers get flamed.

So far, this list seems pretty intelligent.  Ah well, enough
preaching...

The PDF version of the installation guide outlines the following
parameters for the Oracle SGA:

LINUX Kernel Parameters
SHMMAX 4294967295
Note: This setting does not affect how much shared memory is needed or
used by Oracle, or the operating system. It is used only to indicate the
maximum allowable size. This setting also does not impact operating
system kernel resources.
SHMMIN 1
SHMMNI 100
SHMSEG 10
SEMMNS 200
SEMMNI 70
SEMMSL Equal to or greater than the value of the PROCESSES
initialization parameter.

This involves kernel hacking, primarily in the linux/include/asm-i386
and linux/include directories (see sysctl.h and shm.h for ugly details).

However, I didn't do any of that to my default kernel parameters before
installing and I haven't had any problems.  I think this is only
necessary if you're running an Enterprise-scale Oracle instance (GB or
TB database size) and then the SGA modifcations are needed.

My advice: try it without the kernel hack and, if you don't have
problems, forget about the recommendation.  You can always hack and
recompile the kernel later without hurting Oracle.

- khill

Vale_Kenny@vanguard.com wrote:

> Hi Kevin...
>  Thanks for avoiding ribbing me on the "moron" question from my X Window
> questions...  Ii was at least partially a joke..I take it from the point of view
> that at least I'm trying to resolve my own problems, and therefore am allowed
> trivial questions from time to time...the whole give a man rice and he'll eat
> for a day, teach him how to farm, and he'll eat fro the rest of them.  However,
> ya gotta tell him to put gas into the tractor tank, or else all of your other
> teachings are pretty useless...
>
> Anyway, to the Oracle question...
> in 2.4 of the install manual from Oracle, it states...
> "Configure the LINUX kernel Interprocess Communication (IPC) Parameters to
> accomodate the SGA structure of the Oracle 8 Server"
> My question is...How?  the 'ipcs' command doesn't help me, the ipcs man pages do
> not indicate any ability to modify settings, and the Oracle Install Giude is of
> 0 help.
> Help?
>
> Thanks,
> Vale
>
> Kevin Hill <khill@quarterleaf.com> on 07/23/99 10:22:06 PM
> Please respond to plug@lists.nothinbut.net
>
> To:   plug@lists.nothinbut.net
> cc:    (bcc: Vale Kenny/Cntrct/VGI)
> Subject:  Re: [Plug] Oracle8.0.5 for Linux
>
> I've been running it for the past six months or so.  It works very well
> and installs with only a few glitches.  Our company is actually running
> both Oracle and DB2 on Linux for internal application development and we
> haven't had any problems.  The Oracle package includes the JDBC drivers
> which I've used with Apache servlets and, again, these work great.
>
> - khill
begin:vcard
n:Hill;Kevin
tel;fax:215.283.4942
tel;work:215.283.4877
x-mozilla-html:TRUE
url:http://www.quarterleaf.com/
org:The Sycamore Group;Enterprise Development Division
version:2.1
email;internet:khill@quarterleaf.com
title:Senior Application Architect
adr;quoted-printable:;;580 Virginia Drive=0D=0ASuite 100;Fort Washington;PA;19034;USA
x-mozilla-cpt:;-18560
fn:Kevin Hill
end:vcard