umweber on Thu, 29 Jul 1999 12:26:51 -0400 (EDT)

[Plug] Small Linux distros

I got bored last night, and put an old 80 meg MFM seagate hard drive and
wd controller card from an old computer that was under my bed, and decided
to put it in a compaq presario 486.. Amazingly enough it worked, even
though I couldn't even get into the bios on the damn thing.. but it was
running msdos 5 something, and windows 1.01, heheh.
Anyway.. here is my question... would any of the popular
linux distributions fit on 80 megs? Or has anyone tried some smaller
distributions that they've found to have alot of functionality in the
smallest amount of drive space.  I looked over some tiny linux distros on
freshmeat, and I've ran muLinux before on this box without a hard drive,
which was 2 floppy disks, 1 of which was just X, which was neat, because
it even had ppp, and supposedly it had support for installing on to a hard
drive, but I am wondering if anyone else had used anything better.. or if
I would have any problems with the drive being MFM and not IDE, though my
bios has no problem with it.

Thanks!

--
Michelle Weber