Michael C. Toren on Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:51:06 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Mailing attachments from command line

  • From: "Michael C. Toren" <mct@netaxs.com>
  • To: Philadelphia Linux Users Group <plug@lists.nothinbut.net>
  • Subject: Re: [Plug] Mailing attachments from command line
  • Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 20:50:58 -0400 (EDT)

> I still have yet to find a suitable solution to my dilema.  The 1 or 2
> programs people have mentioned here on the list failed to compile in the
> machine I ran it on.  Probbly has nothing to do with the program and
> everything to do with the system (the admin is a slacker, and probably
> doesn't keep his libraries up-to-date).  Any other advice would be
> helpful.  Thanks :-)

Have you tried uuencode?  It's supported by just about everything, but the
downside is that the encoded text ends up being about a third larger than
the file being encoded.  That may or may not be acceptable depending on
your application.

You could try:

    uuencode foo.tgz foo.tgz | mail -s "foo.tgz, uuencoded" mct@netaxs.com

Notice that the filename being encoded, foo.tgz in the above example, is
listed twice on the command line.  The first specifies what the file
should be referred to as in the uuencoded header output, and the second
specifies what local file should be encoded.

HTH,

-mct