Greg Lopp on Wed, 18 Aug 1999 14:52:29 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Trouble starting X remotely

Michael Leone wrote:

> At 02:07 PM 8/18/99 -0400, you wrote:
> >I managed to get X running remotely on my RH 6 box using X-WinPro for
> >Windows.  I used XDMCP to get everything started.
>
> Don't know what XDMCP is.
>
> >Anyway...for those of you with Windoze boxes and want to run X, grab a copy
> >of X-WinPro.
>
> >From where?
>
> >It offers multiple window settings (Full Screen, multiple
> >windows, multiple windows with remote windows manager, etc).  If you select
> >the remote windows manager variant, your X windows co-mingle on your Windoze
> >screen but assume the look and feel of your favorite windows manager.
>
> All I wanna do is telnet over, and see the output from a program that runs
> under X. Don't need my Windows 95 and X-Windows comingling. Do I really
> need all this to just view an X screen remotely?

Yes.  You have to have an X-server and an X-client running.  I'm not 100% on
this, but I think that the linux box in this case would be the client and the
Win95 station would be the server.  The server handles your input, serves it to
the client on the linux machine, the client there processes the input and outputs
info which the server uses for display.  Without running Xserver software (like
Exceed or X-WinPro) the Win95 station will not know how to recieve and display
the data from the client.