Michael W. Ryan on Mon, 23 Aug 1999 11:11:09 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux/W95 LAN

On Sun, 22 Aug 1999, Nick R wrote:

> None taken. But what exactly makes cables not work? Assuming that the little
> light on the hub goes on, then it's just gotta be too high resistance,
> right? What's the maximum resistance that you can have for them to still
> work for 10Base-T? How about 100 Base-T? That's something that I can test
> for easily.

One of the wires in a pair can be cut, or even partially cut.  I don't
know what the exact specs are, but you can probably find them on the 'net.
The likelihood for damage cables is also higher for handmade cables.  I'm
pretty good at straight-through cables, and even I make sucky ones at
times -- even with nice, easy-to-use connectors.  Hell, running over a
CAT-5 with a office chair is sufficient to damage it enough to not work.

Good rule of thumb:  apparent hardware problems should first check the
cable.  If the cable is in doubt, chuck it.  Cables are cheap.

Michael W. Ryan, MCP, MCT     | OTAKON 1999
mryan@netaxs.com              | Convention of Otaku Generation
http://www.netaxs.com/~mryan/ | http://www.otakon.com/

PGP fingerprint: 7B E5 75 7F 24 EE 19 35  A5 DF C3 45 27 B5 DB DF
PGP public key available by fingering mryan@unix.netaxs.com (use -l opt)