Nick R on Mon, 23 Aug 1999 01:48:43 -0400 (EDT)

Re: [Plug] Linux/W95 LAN

None taken. But what exactly makes cables not work? Assuming that the little light on the hub goes on, then it's just gotta be too high resistance, right? What's the maximum resistance that you can have for them to still work for 10Base-T? How about 100 Base-T? That's something that I can test for easily.

From: "Thomas E. Keiser" <tek@teklogic1.com>
To: plug@lists.nothinbut.net
Subject: Re: [Plug] Linux/W95 LAN
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 23:30:34 -0400

If you made your own cables using traditional fittings, it's fairly likely (don't
take this personally) they won't work. I say this based upon years of trying to do
this, and finally going to pre-made patch cables, and using Panduit mini-com
connectors for in-wall wiring. Even if you only value your own time at $5/hour,
this makes sense.